Thursday, November 4, 2010

Pretzels

I got this recipe from mom. These made the perfect snack to go along with my activity day lesson on prayer. I found a story of how the pretzel came to be. A monk used the scrap pieces of dough and shaped the pretzel to resemble folded arms and used them as rewards for the children as they learned their prayers. The girls ate them right up!

Pretzels
1 TBS yeast
1 1/2 c warm water
1 TBS sugar
1 tsp salt
3 1/2 c to 4 c flour
1 egg, beaten
Coarse salt

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add the sugar, salt and enough flour to make a soft dough. Turn onto floured board; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. (I just mix mine in my Bosch) Divide the dough into 16 equal pieces by cutting with a knife. Shape into a traditional pretzel shape. Place on greased baking sheets. Brush with egg and sprinkle with coarse salt. I like to let mine rise for just a bit (the recipe doesn't require time to rise).
Bake at 425 for 13-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Serve with nacho cheese or your favorite dipping sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails