Saturday, December 21, 2013

Cran-Orange Streusel Muffins

I haven't posted in a long time as I seem to have been in a cooking slump.  I am out now so I will add at least one recipe.   Who knows what will happen next.
This recipe was in Taste of Home and was submitted by Hannah Barringer from London, Tennessee.   I made three changes;  I used 1 percent milk as that was what I had, and I used craisens instead of cranberries, and I used orange zest instead of peel, and they turned out great.   I think they would be good without the streusel  topping.  Sorry the picture is blurry but I am not a good photographer. 


Cran-Orange Streusel Muffins

1/4 C butter, softened
1/2 C sugar
1 egg
1 cup fat-free milk, (I used 1 percent)
1/4 C unsweetened applesauce
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 C flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 C fresh or frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped.  (I used craisens, whole)
2 1/2 tsp. grated orange peel (I used zest)

Streusel Topping:
2 TBS. flour
2 TBS. brown sugar
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
2 TBS. cold butter

In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly.   Beat in egg, then the milk, applesauce and vanilla.   Combine flour, baking powder and salt and stir into butter mixture just until moistened.   Fold in cranberries and orange peel.
Coat muffin cups with cooking spray and fill three-fourths full with batter.   For topping, combine the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.   Cut in butter until crumbly.   Sprinkle over batter.
Bake at 400 degrees for 18-22 minutes or till a tooth pick comes out clean.   Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails