Friday, July 10, 2009

Marla's Sweet Rolls


This is one of my favorite sweet roll recipes. I received it from my friend, Marla Anderson (no relation) years ago when she lived in Malta, Idaho, and our oldest boys went up there to thin beets one summer. They were delicious then and I have been making them ever since. Since our family has grown, this is way too many rolls for us to consume so I have cut the recipe down to make in my bread machine. I will include both recipes so that it can be used for a few or for many.
I have changed the way I make these through the years; no longer do I scald the milk, just warm it in the microwave, and I use the fast rising yeast and just add it and the sugar with the dry ingredients and include the water with the wet ingredients.

Marla's Sweet Rolls

Scald and then cool: 3 Cups milk
2 cubes butter
Mix and let stand: 1 C warm water
1 TB. sugar
4 TB yeast
Mix together: 4 Tb sugar
4 tsp. salt
4 eggs, beaten

Add egg mixture to yeast mixture and stir well. Then add milk mixture which is slightly warm. Add about 10 cups of flour and stir with a wooden spoon. Let raise about 1 hour and then scrape dough out onto a floured board, mixing as little as possible. Roll out dough into a large rectangle. Melt 1 cube of butter or margarine; let cool and spread all over the dough. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Roll up and cut with scissors or sharp knife about 1 to 1 and 1/2 inches thick. Put on a greased pan and then mash it flat with palm of your hand or fingers before you go on to the next roll. Let raise 15 to 30 minutes and bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Frost.

Frosting.

Brown 1 cube of butter and add 1 to 2 lbs powdered sugar, thinning with canned milk. Add 1 tsp of vanilla. Smear or drizzle on rolls.


Marla's Rolls for Bread Machine - makes about 15-18

1 C milk
1/2 C butter, melted
1 egg
2 1/2 - 3 cups of flour
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. yeast

Add ingredients to bread machine pan in the order given. Mix on pizza dough setting. Roll out and spread with 1/2 cube butter and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Roll up and cut. Place on greased pan and flatten with palm of hand. Let raise about 1/2 hour and bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Frost or glaze.

Frosting.

Brown 1/2 cube of butter and add powdered sugar, 1/2 tsp. vanilla and thin with milk. Spread or drizzle on rolls.

2 comments:

  1. I have always loved these rolls. There were usually so many of us that we were only allowed one, I savored every bite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! One of my favorites also. Dillon thinks they are the best in the world!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails