Thursday, August 13, 2009

Turkish Rustic Bread

This is another recipe from Binnur's Turkish Cookbook and I love it. It is crusty on the outside and chewy soft on the inside. The recipe is very easy but if you are in a hurry this isn't one to do. You have to start four days ahead of time as it is a sourdough type bread. The only problem with it is that when I make it I want to eat the whole loaf.

Turkish Rustic Bread

Sourdough Starter:
1/4 plus 1/4 plus 1/4 C all purpose flour
3 TBs plus 3 TBs plus 3 TBs warm water

1 TBs yeast
1 tsp sugar
1/4 C warm water
3 C flour sifted with
1 tsp salt
1 C warm water

On the first day mix well 1/4 cup flour with 3 TBs warm water in a bowl and cover. Let sit at room temperature.
Second day, add 1/4 C flour and 3 TBs warm water, mix very well and cover. Let sit at room temperature
On third day, add 1/4 C flour and 2 Tbs warm water, mixing well. Cover and let sit at room temperature

On fourth day the starter is ready to use. In a small bowl, mix the yeast sugar and 1/4 C warm water. Stir well so yeast dissolves and let rest 10 minutes. I did not let it rest as I use the instant yeast. Sift flour and salt together and add the yeast mixture, 1 C warm water and the sourdough starter. Mix and knead the dough for about 10 minutes till it becomes smooth.

Place dough on a floured tray, sprinkle with flour and cover with cloth. Let stand in a warm spot to double, about 2 hours. (I put mine in a greased bowl and covered) You can turn the oven on to warm for a minute, turn it off, and then place the dough in the oven to rise if you wish.

Place dough on floured counter and knead for about 3 minutes to get out bubbles. Shape into an oval, and place on a tray sprinkled with cornmeal to rise again. Can put on a parchment paper if desired. It wil take about 40-45 minutes to double. Use a razor or very sharp knife to make deep slashes in the dough for the steam to come out.

Put some water in an oven-safe bowl and place in the bottom of the oven. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Bake on middle rack for about 40 minutes. Place on wire rack to cool. Slice and serve.

Since I used the fast rising yeast it took less than two hours to double in size.

1 comment:

  1. I guess this is going to require some planning in advance huh? Looks yummy.


Related Posts with Thumbnails