Thursday, September 24, 2009

Turkish-style Zucchini Gratin


Our zucchini went wild this summer and I have tried to make the most of it. I have been trying new recipes nearly every day and have come up with some really good ones. This one comes from Binnur's Turkish Cookbook and I tried it with some hesitation but that was a mistake as it turned out very good. I have done it following the recipe and then I did a different spin on it using some left overs that I wanted to get rid of. Surprisingly husband liked it and so we have had it a couple of times. Can be used as a side dish or appetizer or even the main dish. Since we seem to have misplaced our camera, youngest daughter has taken the pictures for me. Thanks Bess!

3 small zucchini

Filling:
1/4 C feta cheese, crumbled
1 tsp dried dill or 1 TB if you have fresh.
parsley chopped (I didn't have parsley so left it out)

Topping
1 tsp butter
1 TB flour
1/2 C milk

Peel zucchini and cut them in half lengthwise. Remove and discard the seeds with a teaspoon. Sprinkle lightly with salt. Mix the filling ingredients and fill the zucchini equally.

In a small pot, melt the butter; add flour and mix. Slowly add milk and stir, cooking till thickened. Cover the zucchini with this topping.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Arrange the zucchini on it and cook for about 25 minutes until the tops are golden.

Since I had some cubed ham in the fridge needing to be used, I prepared the zucchini as above but did not salt them. Fill the cavity with ham and then top with shredded cheese. Then add the topping and bake the same as above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails