Monday, May 17, 2010

Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta


Some of you are probably familiar with "Bountiful Baskets". We tried it out this week. What it is, is you pay your $15 and you get a variety of fruits and veggies. This week Brussels sprouts was one of the things we got. I have to be honest I had never eaten one, let alone tried cooking one. I'm determined to not waste anything we received, so this will be a week full of trying new things! I adapted the recipe from Giada De Laurentiis on Food Network.

My husband and I enjoyed them. The little boys at first said they liked them, due to the novelty but by the end of dinner it was a "have to eat item" which they did finish what was on their plates. :)

Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta (bacon)
1 lbs fresh Brussels sprouts, trimmed
2 TBS olive oil
3 ounces paper-thin slices pancetta, coarsely chopped (I used bacon)
2 garlic cloves, minced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3/4 c low-salt chicken broth
1/8 c Roasted Pine nuts (optional-I enjoyed this addition)

Partially cook the Brussels sprouts in a large pot of boiling salted water, about 4 min. Drain.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add the pancetta (or bacon) and saute until beginning to crisp, about 3 min. Add the garlic and saute until pale golden, about 2 min. Add the Brussels sprouts to the same skillet and saute until heated through and beginning to brown, about 5 min. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add the broth and simmer until the broth reduces just enough to coat the Brussels sprouts, about 3 min. Add the pine nuts if desired at the end, long enough to warm through.
-I added additional time to the boiling of the Brussels sprouts and the simmering at the end because mine looked on the big side and I also cut them in half after the initial boiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails