Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Asian Chicken Wraps

This past week I was "lucky" enough to get 13 baby bok choy (Asian cabbage) in my basket. Once again something I had never tried before. I was unsure of the hoisin sauce in this recipe since I had never cooked with it before either. My mother-in-law just happened to have some so I figured I would give it a try. This first picture in the pan is before adding the hoisin sauce. I did taste a bite before adding the hoisin sauce and thought it was quite good. Actually I liked it better before adding the hoisin sauce. Next go around I will either cut back the amount or just omit it all together. We still enjoyed the meal, but just a personal preference on the sauce.

It was a much darker color after adding the hoisin sauce.

Asian Chicken Wraps
Source: My Kitchen Cafe

Chicken:
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 1/2 TBS rice vinegar
2 tsp cornstarch
3 (about 1 1/2 lbs) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin, 1/2-inch, strips
1 TBS olive oil

Vegetables:
1 TBS olive oil
8 oz sliced white button mushrooms
3 green onions, white and green parts, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
4 c sliced cabbage or coleslaw mix (I used 3 baby bok choy)
2 TBS soy sauce
2 TBS hoisin sauce

4-6 flour tortillas, slightly warmed
For the chicken, mix the soy sauce, rice vinegar and cornstarch in a small bowl. Add the chicken strips and mix to thoroughly coat the chicken. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring often until it is cooked through, about 4-5 min. Transfer to a plate and set aside.

For the vegetables, heat the oil in the same skillet over medium heat. ( I had to wash my pan in between due to the corn starch getting to dark on the bottom of the pan.) Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until they begin to brown, about 3 min. Stir in the green onions and the garlic, and cook until the garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the cabbage and soy sauce. Add the chicken. Cook, stirring often until the cabbage is slightly wilted but still has a bit of crunch, and the mixture is heated through, about 3 min. Stir in the hoisin sauce. Serve immediately, rolling up the mixture in flour tortillas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails