Monday, March 15, 2010

Pressure Cooker (Day 1)

When I talked to mom about a week ago she had made some ribs in the pressure cooker which reminded me I have a brand new in the box pressure cooker stowed away in one of my top cupboards. Long story short, my old pressure cooker had some issues and so I quit using it because it made me nervous. Eric bought me a new one for Christmas. With the the chaos of moving I forgot all about it. Anyway I have been using it like crazy for the past few days, so I thought I would do a few posts on pressure cooker recipes.
First up is my sister-in-law Libby's recipe for Cabbage & Potato Soup. (I did change some measurements for my smaller family.) I'm not a cooked cabbage fan but I like this soup I can't even tell it has cabbage in it. My family loves this soup. Make sure you add enough salt it makes all the difference! (Once again I am admitting my addiction to salt!)

Cabbage-Potato Soup
6-7 c potatoes, peeled and diced
4 c cabbage, chopped or shredded
1/2 - 3/4 c carrots, peeled and shredded
1/2- 3/4 c onion, chopped
1/2 lbs cooked & chopped bacon (or 1/2 lbs ground sausage, browned)(reserve grease)
Place all the above ingredients and 2 cups water into the pressure cooker for 15 min @ 15 lbs. After pressure is released, add 1/2 cube of butter and 1 cup milk. For more flavor I add a few (2-4) spoonfuls of the meat grease/drippings does that sound better? Mix until butter is melted. ( I use a potato masher). Season with salt and pepper.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails