Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Cream of Asparagus Soup


Tis the season for asparagus. I'm lucky to have fresh asparagus fairly abundant by my house, with all the ditch banks. This last week one of my husband's co-workers brought in a grocery bag full of asparagus. After everyone else took what they wanted he still came home with 3/4 of a bag. So needless to say we have enjoyed many meals with it. My favorite way to eat it is steamed and then with cream and salt and pepper. We decided to venture out a little bit and try Cream of Asparagus soup. I remembered my mom sent me this recipe years ago, so I searched my files. I'm glad I found it. We really enjoyed it along with a fresh batch of rolls. My husband would have liked it a little better if I had left some of it out of the blender, to give it a little more substance. So next time I'll give that a try.

Cream of Asparagus Soup
1/2 c chopped onion
1 TBS cooking oil
2 can chicken broth (or bouillon and 4 c water)
2 1/2 lbs fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut to 1 inch pieces
1/4 tsp dried tarragon
1/4 c butter
1/4 c flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white pepper
3 c half and half cream
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
shredded swiss cheese

Saute onion in oil until tender. Add broth, asparagus and tarragon; simmer until asparagus is tender. Pour into blender and puree, then set aside. In soup kettle, melt butter then stir in flour, salt, and pepper. Cook, and stir for 2 minutes or until golden. Gradually add cream. Cook til thickens. Stir in the pureed asparagus and lemon juice; heat through. Garnish with cheese if desired. Makes about 2 quarts or 8 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails