Friday, April 30, 2010

English Muffins


Today I tried a new recipe for English Muffins and got so excited with the way they turned out. Clark just sat and smiled at my enthusiastic reaction. I got the recipe from the food network and it is courtesy of Alton Brown. These are quick and easy unlike other recipes for English Muffins I have tried, and so delicious. We are having bacon-egg-muffins for breakfast in the morning and I can hardly wait. No more store-bought muffins for me! Makes 8-10 muffins. (I made 9).

English Muffins

1/2 C non-fat milk powder
1 TBS sugar
1 tsp salt
1 TBS shortening
1 C hot water
1 envelope dry yeast
1/8 tsp sugar
1/3 C warm water
2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted (I used half white and half wheat)
Non-stick vegetable spray
Equipment needed: electric griddle or frying pan, 3 inch metal rings (can use tuna cans with both ends cut out.)

Combine powdered milk, sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, shortening, and hot water. Stir until the sugar and salt are dissolved. Let cool. In a separate bowl combine the yeast and 1/8 tsp of sugar and 1/3 C of warm water and let it rest till yeast has dissolved. Add this to the dry milk mixture and add the sifted flour and beat thoroughly with a wooden spoon. Cover the bowl and let it rest in a warm spot for 30 minutes.

Preheat the griddle (or electric skillet) to 300 degrees.

Add the remaining 1/2 tsp of salt to mixture and beat thoroughly. Place metal rings onto the griddle and coat lightly with vegetable spray. Using # 20 ice cream scoop, place 2 scoops into each ring and cover with a pot lid or cookie sheet and cook for 5 to 6 minutes. Remove lid and flip rings using tongs. Cover with the lid and cook for another 5 - 6 minutes or until golden brown. Place on a cooling rack, remove rings and cool. Split with fork and serve.

I cooked mine in an electric skillet and used the lid to cover. I don't have a clue what size my ice cream scoop is so had to experiment with the amount I needed to fill rings with. My first ones were just a little big but the last ones were perfect. When I turned mine over, the rings just fell off so they finished cooking without the rings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails