Saturday, April 10, 2010

Mexican Haystacks

I would guess most of you have made "Hawaiian haystacks" but have you tried "Mexican haystacks"? I had never even heard of such a thing till I got married, my in-laws introduced them to me.
My parents and brother will be getting back from their cruise to Mexico tomorrow so I thought of them. (Not that this is remotely authentic, to my knowledge.) Welcome back Mom!
This is a good go-to-meal-fast and easy!

Mexican Haystacks
1 lbs ground beef
1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained (kidney, white, what ever kind you like)
2-3 TBS taco seasoning (depending on how spicy you like it)
1 1/2 c rice

Toppings:
Corn, frozen or canned, warmed then drained
lettuce
Cheese, shredded
Tortilla chips, broken into bite size pieces (which I forgot in the picture above)
Olives, sliced
Onions, chopped
Tomatoes
Salsa
Use what ever your family likes on tacos (My one son likes his with ranch.?.)

Get your rice cooking first. Then brown the burger and add in the drained beans and sprinkle the taco seasoning on top. Stir till evenly coated and cook till beans are warmed through.

I don't suppose it really matters what order you go in but I put the crushed tortilla chips first then the rice and the meat and bean mixture, then corn. I like my cheese to get a bit melted so I put it on next. Then just layer the cold toppings on top of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails